Sunday, September 30, 2012

Perks of Being Not-Really-A-Wallflower

Maki, Carlo and I were walking to meet up our other friends at Greenbelt when I suddenly exclaimed:
"Hindi ako maka move-on sa movie!"

We just finished seeing "Perks of Being a Wallflower".


Carlo: "Pinipigilan ko ngang umiyak kanina."
Me: "Ako rin kaya!"
Maki: "Bakit?"

I don't know why I was so affected by the movie... I was asking myself... why the fudge?! Then it occurred to me. I saw myself a lot of times in the character of Charlie:

I was mad... 
Nakakainis pala panuorin ang sariling katarantaduhan. I was mad at the person who reflected the reality that was me. I was mad at myself.

I was sad...
That part where he was asked to leave by Patrick in a supposed t be fun night with friends. The scene where he frantically attempts to stop himself from crying when he was already crying a river. He felt sorry for things he wasn't even responsible for and I was like: "Bobo ka ba?"

I was happy...
He still regarded those people as friends despite rejection. He genuinely wished for another person's happiness. He was a true friend up to the very end.

That kid wanted acceptance. That kid is just experiencing new things in life. That kid is new to the idea of love. That kid is haunted by his past. That kid is just... human. 

Several cringe-inducing acts influenced by desperation, getting into awkward situations because of naivety, thoughts on things like... I don't know... love? Things like these will really happen in life. Maybe that's the reason why I liked the movie so much: it is inclined to the real world I am living in.

So we finally met up with our other friends... and unexpectedly, the other friends have their other friends with them. There were so many of us, we can form a football team plus a small cheering squad. I don't know 80% of them. What perfect turn of event? Now I will know if I am a wallflower or not. Turned out I'm somewhere in between. I made several new friends and got closer to my already-existing friends.

In some occasion and other group of people, I am the life of the party and in others; I'm better off uninvited. Yeah, lots of fun and awkward moments but I'm fine with that. So what are the perks of being not-really-a-wallflower? You have to be one first to know them ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment