Monday, December 3, 2012

A Realization That Is Divisoria

"Omg, I didn't expect this."


I was pushed around and dragged by the tide of people. You simply can't stop anytime because people are always moving. I was 12 years old the last time I've been here and I know this is a chaotic place but it is 10x more when you get in the picture.

Me: "Ma, kung may nakita kang gusto mong bilhin isipin mo muna kung: A - mabubuhat ko pa and B - kung may mapaparkingan ako."

The prices are unbelievable! Where else could you find a class A pair of shades for just 35 pesos? And Korean fashion for just 400 pesos? The frenzied atmosphere is contagious. The place has everything! Stuffed animals, local spices, tawas, spoons sold by the bundle, chains, underwear, effin' Angry Birds merchandise...


...vegetables neatly arranged, local delicasies, etc.! Lots of things that you need and lots of things that you don't need but you will still end up buying.

While mom was busy haggling with the vendors, I took the opportunity to "people watch" and try to know their story by just observing them.

Inside 168 Mall, there are a lot of foreign shop owners. Some of them can speak Filipino!
"Wala na size. Isa size lang." - A Korean shop owner to a woman aking for a larger size of a blouse.
"Kuya, isa nito." - A Chinese shop owner asked his clerk to get one of what he's holding from the stockroom.
"Ilan kukunin? 250 nalang!" - A Chinese Christmas lights shop owner to a dismayed potential customer.

Outside, I was observing a guy selling his wares. A huge bilao, with hoses attached on both ends as handles,   carried his smoked fishes. He asked every person to buy but everyone avoided him like he was some sort of a shark in an ocean of people.

It got me thinking... what if I had that kind of life? I can't stand all day under the scorching sun and persuade people to buy from me just so I can live for another day. I wake up everyday with a ready breakfast on my table, this house never runs out of food. The fact that I complain how fat I am makes me realize that I never got hungry. My room is air conditioned, we have wifi, cable television, hot showers, etc. I can stay unemployed and sit my ass at home but my parents were working hard when they were my age. I thank my parents for these conveniences.

"Kuya, madami kang dala, bili ka ng bag." An old lady selling shopping bags snapped me out of my deep thought.

In another aspect... I'm probably loaded... yes.

"Ah hindi po, salamat." I smiled and walked away.

I don't need a bag. A bag will still make me carry the same load but in a different way. A way that I might not be used to. It could be an easier way but it could also make things worse. I will leave the things the way they are. I believe I am ready. I might get into a hot water because of poor judgement. I might get consumed once I dive into that ocean of people. I am anticipating failure but it should never be an option. In the event that I will, I know how to pick myself up and start anew.

If I will go back to this place, the first thing that I will buy is smoked fish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment